Recommended age group: 5–11 and their families
Time required: 10–30 minutes
Equipment: simple household equipment – balls, music, dusters
The Travel to Tokyo challenge is all about getting young people active together with their families. The challenge from Team GB, ParalympicsGB and Sport England uses the inspiration of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games to get 5–11s and their families moving, aiming to build lasting active habits.
WHAT TO AIM FOR
We are all starting our journeys to healthy active lifestyles from different points. The Travel to Tokyo challenge recognises this, encouraging everyone to improve their personal best, working towards the Chief Medical Officer’s guidelines on children’s physical activity.
- Aim for 10 – get active in busts of at least 10-minutes
- Be a Half Hour Hero – aim for 30 minutes at school, 30 minutes at home every day
- Hot and Sweaty – push beyond your comfort zone, aiming to Breathe Faster and even get Hot and Sweaty
Travel to Tokyo encourages families to get active together by trying new things and having fun. This doesn’t have to be a sport – find ways to move that you can enjoy together.
HOW IT WORKS
Schools create teams for each class. Children log activity against their teams to help their team meet weekly goals (the ‘current goal’). Children are encouraged to do activity with family to help meet their goals and increase their team totals. Children can follow the progress of the team and school using the Team and School Dashboards. Teams who meet or exceed their targets are in with the chance of winning prizes, including athlete visits and take-home prizes like skipping ropes and speakers. Local leisure facilities are also supporting the challenge – look out for free sessions and places to log your activity.
Use these resources to support your family’s Travel to Tokyo journey.
- Home Flyer – read and share a simple overview of the Travel to Tokyo challenge.
- Our Active Inspiration – find activity ideas and top tips to display in your home.
- Team Goals – follow your child’s team’s progress from home.
- Business Cards – share these with the wider family, inviting them to join the team.
LOG YOUR ACTIVITY
Don’t forget to log your activity against your team for the chance to win great prizes (Liverpool and Merseyside only). It’s free, and no account needed – just your school postcode and team name.