Getting Started on the Values Awards
Here are 10 steps to get you started on your journey with the Values Awards.
Download the Teacher Guide to see a description of the challenges that young people will undertake as part of the Values Awards and suggestions for class activities if you wish (there is no obligation to run class sessions as the challenges can be completed by students individually at school or at home).
- Go to the Values Awards using the block on the right. Depending on whether you are a teacher or group leader, follow the signposting to login/register. If you are already registered and logged in as a user on Get Set, you will not need to do this again.
- Create groups (for example, by class) by clicking on Manage users in the right hand Administration block, then Manage Groups. The first time you log in, you will be taken to this page automatically.
- To add students, click on Manage Users and then select the specific group involved from the drop down. Simply add the first and last name for each user and the website will automatically provide a username and password for you to pass on to the individual. (Note that login information for individual students is different to any logins they may be using for the Get Set site or Road to Rio app for complete teacher/group leader control.) Simply click on the red cross next to the name of the user if you want to delete them. Remember to click save changes!
- If you would like a handy document to refer to see your groups’ login details at a glance, click on the View as PDF icon to download and keep the information.
- Distribute login details to your students. They can then login to begin working on their Values Award. You will need to decide which Award suits your students best: Stars, Champions or Ambassadors. They can come back any time to work on their Award or monitor their own progress.
- It is up to you as the teacher or group leader how you run the Awards: some students will be able to work at their own pace and others will need more support. Download the teacher guide for ideas for class activities to run with your students if you choose. You can also see an overview of the different challenges which they will work through to complete the Awards.
- You can view your students’ progress by going to the Administration block within a course (for example, Stars), choosing Reports and viewing the Course completion report.
- You will receive a notification on your Values Awards homepage when any of your students have completed the content for their Award – this means it is ready for you to review and approve. Those challenges requiring teacher review before approval of the Award (for example, where students need to submit written content) are marked in red on the Course completion report. You will need to let students know if any challenges require further work.
- If you are happy with your student’s work on the Award, click in the ‘Your teacher’ column check box – this will approve the Award and unlock your student’s certificate.
- You can download all the certificates for your students who have completed their Award by going to Manage users in the right hand Administration block and clicking on User certificates. You might want to hand these out at an assembly or special celebration event, for example.
If you would like further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.