Recommended age group: 9–18
Time required: 30 minutes per activity (further ideas in Organise an Olympic Week teacher toolkit)
- Start your Olympic Day celebrations with some cooperative games to develop student’s teamwork and critical thinking skills. (Cooperative Games – activity sheet)
- Encourage children to learn about the tradition of the torch relay, inhabit a character and re-enact the Olympic torch relay. (Torch relay – activity sheet.) Get started by watching our torch relay film.
- Explore how sport has evolved since the ancient Olympic Games by looking more closing at the Olympic sprint. Find out about the changing distances of Olympic running, and compare and contrast the ways that ancient and modern runners started a race by encouraging students to run an experiment using both techniques.
- Use the Organise an Olympic Week teacher toolkit to develop a whole week’s programme to celebrate Olympic Day by discovering new sporting activities. Alternatively, use individual activities within the kit to build on your existing Olympic Day plans or PE lessons.
- Remember to upload a showcase or share a tweet of your Olympic Day activity for the chance to win Get Set goodies!